On his Cambridge real estate blog, real estate agent Charles Cherney noted the importance of the outer and inner appearance of a home that’s on the market.
“I was struck on my visits today by by how much appearance matters. One condo I looked at is very nice – but you almost wouldn’t know it. The place needs a good cleaning and would really benefit from having someone give some thought to its presentation…”
An experienced Realtor or a professional home stager can bring a valuable, new perspective to the home selling process. A furniture arrangement that has suited a family’s needs for years may not fully compliment a space in the way that it should; for instance, cluttered furniture may make a space feel smaller than it actually is. In addition to finding an experienced Realtor with a talent for staging, here are some tips that any homeowner can follow to create a blank canvas from his or her property.
- Clear off countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms; remove smaller kitchen appliances such as toaster ovens and blenders from the countertops
- Clear the fridge door
- Re-organize closets. The Container Store and Ikea sell inexpensive storage boxes and hanging bags
- Hang curtains 4-6 inches higher and wider than the window to make the room look bigger
- Rent a storage unit for extra clutter that can’t be stored in your home
- Hire a professional to clean your home. It costs under $100 to have a four-bedroom, 2500 square foot home cleaned.
- Before each showing, boil cinnamon sticks or bake cookies
- Have a professional pressure-clean the exterior of your home — it’s amazing how sparkling the outside of a home can look when it’s freed from years of crud! You can also rent the equipment from a hardware store for $50-$75 for the day.
- Mow the lawn, lay down mulch if necessary
- Replace the mailbox and house numbers if they’ve taken a beating over the years
Real estate agent Charles Cherney’s passion for Cambridge MA real estate, for architecture, and most importantly, for other people, make him an ideal residential real estate agent for Cambridge, MA properties. Visit his Cambridge real estate website and Cambridge Real Estate Blog for helpful real estate tips, detailed blogs about neighborhoods and listings in Cambridge, video tours of Cambridge real estate listings, and more.